Sarah Palin. Not too surprisingly, she has been a magnet for hypocrisy from the Right and the Left. Just a few examples.
When I first heard of the pick, I thought, "gimmick." If I were a women, I might be somewhat put off by the prospect of a woman being used as a gimmick (and I would have to wear a wig). Sure, VP picks are to be made strategically, and it might be a great strategy, but to me, given her extremely low profile, I think her gender is the primary reason she was picked, even if she has other noteworthy qualities. (Though, now that I have heard her speak, I can see that she brings something noteworthy to the ticket, though McCain may have just lucked out, but who knows).
Who cares? Well, I just think in all fairness, those who have been claiming that Obama would not be where he was if he weren't Black (which I tend to agree with), should be willing to admit that Palin wouldn't be the VP choice if she weren't female. As long as you are either fine with both cases or bothered by both cases, then so be it.
Also, social conservatives shouldn't be all that thrilled with the fact that Palin has young children--even with special needs--and probably has little time to devote to them. Perhaps her husband is home most of the time with them, though I've not heard that to be the case, and some social conservatives wouldn't be placated by that anyway. Yet, I don't hear many of them expressing their hesitancy about her decisions.
On the Left, she is being criticized for NOT being less of a career woman--go figure. She represents a modern "have it all" woman that social liberals would tend to herald, yet she it being picked on for it. Where is NOW and other women's groups who should be coming to her defense for having questions asked her that no man would have to answer? Why aren't they decrying their favorite complaint--the double standard of gender? (Speaking of double standard...)
Of course, there is the whole "experience doesn't really matter that much" for a president (when applied to one candidate) and "experience matters" for a vice president (when it applies to the other ticket)- and the reverse arguments when applied in the reverse (just pretend that made sense).
If all else was equal but Palin was on the Democrat and not Republican ticket (sure, she may have some different political positions for this scenario to work, but I'm focusing on her gender and family), she would be criticized from the Right as the Left are doing, and the Left would be defending her like the Right is doing.
Disclaimers: These are generalizations, not meaning everyone in each party; this has not been particularly eye-opening for me, just wanted to sound off.
Politics and hypocrisy...who would have seen that one coming?!
2 comments:
Geesh Scooter, didn't you ever go to high school? Back then it was a popularity contest and now although not "technically," it's still a popularity contest. I think your comments are spot on. I thought the same thing. It is crazy that people don't talk about his stuff more. I think you should blog about what the elections should really be like. I wonder what the elections were like when you didn't get to see the candidates, you know when women couldn't vote, blacks couldn't vote, non land owners couldn't vote. . .
I am still calling it Demo's win, by a landside. Nothing rallying the GOP base.
hah, should be "this stuff" not "his stuff," now that is something they would be talking about.
Post a Comment