
It's kind of strange. It's almost like I re-state the thought with words so that some extra-perceptual observers can listen in and get the full thrust of my thinking. No thanks necessary.
Many times I imaging having a conversation with someone who might actually care about the caulk line around my toilet or the bubbles on the raw side of a developing pancake. Or, I just hold the conversation with myself. I have some pretty good comebacks sometimes.
I used to do it in German from time to time, not completely aware of it until the third or fourth utterance of the same incomplete sentence. That's been fading, along with my exterior scalp insulation (though I fear it may become more common in the future, but in English--or gibberish).
When I was quite young, I used to fantasize that everyone could hear my thoughts but the government would punish someone if they let on to it. They could hear my thoughts because they would be broadcasted loudly to them, as if with an external speaker (though I never heard echoes of myself, or experienced feedback--that was above my critical thinking ability at the time, I suppose).
Maybe that's why I needlessly articulate my thoughts in my mind into words--I never grew up. (Alternatively, it is a natural process that humans go through as part of an effort to expand one's thinking by enhancing one's awareness of the thought through unspoken words, thus leading to additional insight that may not occur without taking that additional step. That wouldn't be as fun to write about, so I won't go there).
1 comment:
I have this problem. Except I find what makes sense in my mind doesn't necessarily make sense to others minds. I sometimes find a great piece of raw material but before I dig out the good ore, the dirt closes the hole and all you hear is muddy thinking.
Post a Comment