It may sound very difficult to believe, but when I was growing up, I didn't feel tremendously comfortable around girls.
(I'll give you a moment to shake off the shock)
I didn't have any sisters and there weren't even that many girls in my neighborhood. At church, there seemed to be more males than females there too. I was a pretty shy kid at school and overall had no confidence when it came to girls. My best friend tried to boost my confidence by telling me his cousin had a crush on me. She and I actually went out a couple of times in high school but it felt a little forced.
Then came college.
Yeah, I know you assume that girls were knocking down my door to ask me out--but you aren't correct. I did, however, make friends with a group of very nice young ladies. I don't know exactly how it happened, but over time, I ended up spending much time with a group of very fun and supportive young ladies. Once I even chose to go with with them to a movie instead of with the guys to a different movie--I think I was the smart one (of course, it was Star Trek, so I couldn't resist that either). They were a big part of my life and the source of many fun and interesting memories.
Then I met the ultimate young lady and married her. She was and is incredibly sweet and has given me three sweet daughters. They all have their moments, of course, but it is wonderful being surrounded by females once again. I still have a lot to learn, but I feel very blessed.
I also work primarily with women. Most are a bit or much older than me, but they make for generally supportive colleagues. Yeah, there is some drama now and again, but that's life. On top of that, the majority of my students are female--sometimes exclusively so. Female, females, females.
Thanks, all you double-X chromosomal beings!
Now, if anyone dares question my manhood, let me assure you that I don't call up my brothers three times a day to tell them when I stub my toe. I'm all male through and through!
2 comments:
Is that last paragraph some kind of commentary on your sweet wife and her equally sweet sisters??
I'm glad you chose to join our sometimes crazy family.
I just wanted to let you know I was a STUD!!!!! The women were all over me!!! snort, snort,snort, laugh.
Post a Comment