I wondered what my little girls were thinking about these images. I expressed that I would be a little more concerned if I had sons walking through these galleries of lust. Yet, I was concerned about my daughters as well, but differently.
I have had several discussions with my girls about the fact that some boys will like them just so they can kiss them, touch them, and overall just to be close to a pretty girl. Other boys--the ones worth keeping around--will like them as people, not as bodies. This is a challenging lesson to teach to innocent little girls, but being of the male persuasion myself, I fully appreciate how females can be perceived by males--and it's not necessarily a good thing. Too many girls/women trade a moment of satisfying male lust for a moment of male attention, and come away empty. I don't want that for my girls. Yet, I don't want to vilify boys--they can have some merit as well.
The strip actually provided an opportunity for revisiting these lessons. On the drive from Vegas I mentioned to the girls that all those pictures they saw is an example of how some males view women--just as bodies. I had them recall the conversations we have had on this topic and noted how the images exemplify what I had meant. They didn't gush over my wisdom or make any instant vows of chastity, but I think (hope) a meaningful impression was made.
Then, in the back of my mind, I wondered what would happen if they took this message to the extreme. I may have some pretty upset sons-in-law on their wedding nights. Don't tell them whose fault it is.
4 comments:
"I hadn't seen that much skin in one day..." LOL! Great lessons. I think you and your girls are definitely on the right track.
Oh how I wish my boys could stay young and innocent! I just don't even want to think about the conversations I will have to have. I will have them, it just won't be fun. :)
I have a friend at church that was at a high school sports activity when some women came to her group of friends and said, "We just want you to know that we have talked to our daughters about protection and provided them with it, so you don't have to worry about your boys."
My friend responded, "I want you to know that I have taught my son to respect women, so you don't have to worry about your daughters."
:)
It is so refreshing to hear that kind of talk from a dad instead of a mom. I remember having a talk similar to that with my boys about objectifying and victimization of women in movies. women. One in particular really rolled his eyes. Views on that talk change once you have your own daughter, though.
Scrap Chair Potato, that comment about protection is unbelievable. Your friend's comment was terrific. I wish I could think on my feet so quickly.
Keep on the lookout for those great teaching moments. When I grew up,we went to Vegas many times; I even lived there for a year. I never had a conversation with my parents anywhere close to the one you had, but ah, times were much simpler. Keep up the good work; keep talking even if you don't think they hear. Fortunately, their mom is a great example of womanhood! (and dad a great example of manhood!)
Post a Comment