Sunday, January 13, 2008

Red Rover, Red Rover, Send Baldy right over

I was in a small branch of the church this morning. I was attending as the brand new 1st counselor of the stake young men's presidency. Somehow I am to be able to train and support local young men's leaders. I also get to drive around for up to 90 minutes and listen to podcasts on my ipod--a good chance to catch up on General Conference talks and such. This can be a good calling for me--it will push me to try to be in tune with things of the Spirit more than my last calling (stake executive secretary). On the other hand, I have to be social.

Sure, I am not completely inept at people skills--bring up BYU football and I can share minutia with the best of them. If I know you, I can chat about this and that. But, small talk with strangers--ug, someone put me out of my misery. Some things I can fake--this one is tough. To add an element, I have to be able to make small talk with...(sigh)...teenagers. Yeah, the only people who stare down at their shoes in unfamiliar social situations more than I do are teenage boys when some bald guy with glasses who calls himself "Brother" so and so offers his hand.

It is interesting to be around a small branch. Everyone had multiple callings, talked to each other like they were related (50/50 chance they were), and were generally friendly. The chapel converts into a basketball gym (half court)--with carpet of course. But, the same Spirit is there and the unfamiliar becomes familiar. I will be traveling an hour to a ward next week in which I will teach a combined young men meeting. I'm thinking of taking my old skateboarding pictures--just to catch them off guard a bit. If I get desperate, I might have to pull out the ol' Napoleon Dynamite dance.

8 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Please try to refrain from the dance. I do have to live here, after all.

Scrappy said...

Is there any chance we could see a video clip of the dance on your new, fabulous blog??
Keep the posts coming!

Roxanne said...

I'm so glad to see you are going to blog. Maybe I can get Doug to read this one!
Good luck with those teenagers. I know how you feel about small talke with strangers. Our new ward is really a challenge to me.

Scooter said...

Thanks for all the encouragement! (this is sarcastic for Kimberlie, genuine for everyone else)

McD said...

Don't worry there Scooter, they won't remember you tomorrow anyway!

McD said...

In reference to gma dibb, well that settles it I always knew you where Grandpa's favorite!

Scooter said...

mcd-

Good point on the first comment.

Funny point on the second (of course if you wrote about BYU more--POSITIVELY--your potential readership for grandpa Dibb might increase.

And............................................can you blame him (*grin*--*wink*)

Diane said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! I look forward to your entries and your comments.