Thursday, October 1, 2009

LIfe's Creul Sense of Humor

There are bigger problems in the world, I'll admit that. I'll leave that up to cable news for now.

But sometimes life takes a cruel twist.

Roller blades. No, I didn't break my arm (or coccyx).

I don't remember exactly how old I was when I first saw them. But they were cool. I think I tried them once when I went to a roller rink the time I introduced my fiance to my mother--it's all kind of a blur. That was a while ago.

A few years ago when visiting my in-laws I discovered a pair in their garage. Had a great time rolling around the neighborhood and the nearby school grounds. Of, if only some day I could get my own pair.


A few months ago while looking for a belt at the local Good Will, I found a pair of shoes for $3.50--the same price as all those shoes. Except these shoes were roller blades...and they fit.

It only took me 20 years or so to get some...and at a price any scrooge could celebrate.

(I didn't break my leg)

Having seen the joys of breaking a wrist while ice-skating (mother-in-law...hey, I'm sensing a theme here), I decided I wouldn't use them until I found some wristguards. I figured I could protect most of myself by falling to my hands, and wristguards would do the rest. All the planets aligned as I found a good set on Amazon--which I purchased with a gift card I just received from a publisher for submitting a teaching strategy for publication. Destiny was on my side.

(I didn't break my side)

I few days later I was good to go. I went to the paved trail in town with my daughter and I was off. What a rush--the wind blowing through my...ear lobes, the trees rushing past me like extras is a Godzilla movie. My life would never be the same.

I tried them a day or two later around our neighborhood. It was worth taking my life into my own hands on the pothole obstacle course. They haven't left my closet since.

Around the same time, we were gifted a treadmill from some people who moved away. My old treadmill had recently died, and this one was like a Mercedes compared to my 1940 Citrone. In the world of exercise, I was set with my two new toys. Somebody didn't tell my knees.

Ever since then, I have had cronic knee paid--it's been over 2 months. Nothing specific happened that I know of, but they ache and burn constantly. I may have developed arthritis or something, and it is very discouraging. My roller blades and treadmill just sit there gathering dust, while I gather...well, I'm trying not to think about that.

Ah, shucks!

I guess it's time to fulfill a different fantasy I've had since I got married 15 years ago. Where can I find a good bean bag chair for our family room?

Then again, I'd better watch out for my coccyx.

5 comments:

Nana J said...

Life is indeed cruel. Might it be your back, with pain radiating to your knees? Oh, wait, that wasn't a very good thought, was it? I hope you are able to get back to your routine.

Roxanne said...

I'm sorry. I feel your pain.

McD said...

I understand how you feel. I played basketball every week and was loving it until one day I was going down some stairs at work and my knees could not handle the weight and gave out. I couldn't play for 6 months. Then I got fat and it was I couldn't play anymore. And. . .by the way, back in '95 I took my first pair of rollerblades out for a ride. I went downhill without figuring how to stop. Speeding toward heavy traffic I had to figure out a way to stop. I forced myself to crash. . .and broke my wrist. Good times.

Strollerblader said...

I'm sorry you're getting old, Scooter. ;o)

Grandma B said...

How are they now?