Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bishops

I've had the opportunity to observe and think about Bishops (LDS Church) lately. I've gotten to the age at which I have several friends and acquaintances who are Bishops--it's a strange feeling.

While on vacation, we have stayed in the home of a Bishop (who has been home a combined total of about 17 minutes in three days--not counting "sleep"). Another Bishop and his family was going to visit but had to stay home to conduct a funeral. Last week a Bishop whom I don't know spent 3 hours--with little notice--late into the evening counseling a loved one. These men and their families make tremendous sacrifices--much if not most of which goes unnoticed.

Sure, they get some status--whoopee! I assume they feel blessed spiritually. But I'v wondered lately if perhaps their spiritual blessings come because of the effort they put into being in touch with spiritual things because they need all the help they can get. Thus, it's not automatic, its the natural consequence of their dedication.

Bishops also make mistakes and will never please everyone. They are human--often very flawed, and there are a handful that may even do some pretty horrible things--but I feel confident in saying that most do their best and deserve whatever support they can get. It is truly amazing that people accept such responsibility--with relatively little training, with no aspirations for the calling (except by a select few who are either very ignorant or are caught up in some quirky power trip), and who typically have plenty of their own family and work responsibilities.

The more I think about it, the more I feel the need to show more grattitude for my Bishop--even if we have relatively little contact, I know he is doing a tremendous, selfless service, and he and his family deserve my respect.

If he happens to be reading this--how dare you take a break!

2 comments:

Nana J said...

Renee and I were just discussing how very kind my bishop was when Caleb died and how attentive Mom's bishop was when dad died. What a huge responsibility these men have - and they do it with smiles on their faces.

McD said...

Grandma B grabbed my line.
As I read this, I thought, it must be time for Scott's turn. You have become hyper-aware.
I don't know how my bishop does it. I can honestly say I never, ever, ever want that calling. Did I mention ever. Just the judge part alone is to much for me. I did mention I never want that calling right. I think I would turn it down. You tell me how great it is. My bishop keeps a bishop's journal is always telling me about the great stuff he gets to put in there. What he doesn't say is how much time he puts into the calling, especially with cell phones. He can't hide from anyone. He needs to take up fishing.