Sunday, March 29, 2009

All in favor...

When I'm in the classroom teaching, I often ask questions to my students about their own experiences, beliefs, or attitudes. Sometimes I will ask for a show of hands to get a sense of differences within the whole group. An old teaching technique is to raise your own hand when you ask for people to raise their hands in resonse to the question--psychologically the students will feel more at ease participating when they see someone else's hand up--or maybe the act just keeps their attention better so they are more apt to be focusing on me and thus be quicker to react (I have no idea if this is really scientific--but I buy into it anyway).

Typically I raise my hand with every response option (for both agree and disagree, for having experienced X and Y, etc.). It has become an automatic response pattern for me.

Once is a while I conduct stake or ward business at church. I stand at the pulpit or at the front of a quorum meeting and announce the name(s) of someone who has been issues a calling to serve at some capacity in the church. When I ask for a sustaining vote (of approval), I raise my hand along with the congregation--a typical convention for the person aksing for the vote (and I am also voting along with the congregation). Then I ask for the opposing vote.

Every time I sit back down, I start wondering if I raised my hand both times. It's not the most comfortable sensation.

1 comment:

McD said...

That is funny. I typically forget to even ask for the apposing view. I bet there is tons of physcological reasoning behind that.