I'm sure this will be a common blog topic, but I feel the urge to pay a small tribute to a great man.
I shook President Hinkley's hand once outside of the Cannon Center (BYU dormitory cafeteria). There was a crowd of people around him and we didn't get to speak--and he wasn't the President then--but it was still meaningful to me. I remember him speaking at at least one BYU fireside as well. To be honest, I was always fighting falling asleep at those firesides my Freshman year because I went to bed way too late--but that's a can of worms to keep on the shelf right now. So, I wasn't overwhelmed by any of his talks, and when he became the President I didn't feel any special anticipation.
Looking back, it is amazing how my love and admiration for him has grown immeasurably. I was in tears last evening at the news. I am wallowing in self pity because I will miss hearing him speak. It is selfish, I know, but that's what it is for me right now. I especially admired his humility, his optimism, and his boldness. His humor was great and a nice perk, but it was when he would get louder and bolder in the middle of a discourse that would move me the most. He was incredibly inspiring.
I know life will go on, and we will continue to have great leadership in the church. I will always remember President Hinkley with great admiration and fondness. He is truly a hero. Somehow he was bigger than life, yet his departure feels similar to losing a friend--amazing!
2 comments:
It is sad. I do have to point out to you (although I'm sure you knew) that President Monson was called to serve in the Quorum of the Twelve at age 36. Can you imagine a calling of that magnitude at your age and stage of life?
Wow, that is amazing. I think those days are gone, but nevertheless, he is certainly extraordinary in his own right.
Post a Comment