Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ask the "Expert"

At the risk of sounding like I am patting myself on the back (but as you may know, I am far too un-agile to bend that way), I thought I would share this with you—a peek into a bit of my brain rambles in my professional world.

I had an interesting experience the other day at work. A journalism student interviewed me for part of her major project in a course. She was to investigate a topic of her choice and interview three “experts” as part of her information gathering. Her topic was same sex marriage. She chose to interview someone from Political Science, someone from Sociology, and me (Family Studies). Her emphasis was on social policy. As you might suspect, this is a hot topic today and one about which I don’t feel particularly comfortable sharing personal feelings—mostly because it is not wise to come across as oppositional toward such things (even if you are only asking tough questions, not necessarily attacking a concept) because doing so can get you called all sorts of derogatory names and universities these days do not want to be associated with “bigots.” That is not to say that where I work is the bastion on liberal thinking and Political Correctness, but it is a university just the same. I am also a little hesitant because I think there are some legitimate debates about the topic and few easy answers.

Anyway, if you know me, I am very cautious and try to tune into the complex nuances of issues, and tend to qualify what I say quite a bit. I don’t see black-and-whiteness in many things—the fence is hard to get off of when you can see valid pastures on both sides. At any rate, my approach to these types of interviews is to address it as I think I should—as a scholar. After all, who really cares what some bald guy with glasses thinks? I am approached because of my professional status. So, after about 40 minutes of interviewing me, she asked me what I thought the solution was to “the problem.” I quickly explained that “the problem” depends on who is calling it a problem, and what one thinks is problematic. For what one sees as a problem, another has no complaint. She still kept digging, and I said that I wanted to answer this from a scholarly standpoint, not a personal one (for reasons I have just explained). She, somewhat satisfyingly, let me answer that way.

When all was over, I was a bit sheepish about how I answered most of her questions in a non-committal way. I focused on what the controversies were and what the typical arguments are on multiple sides of each controversy. I emphasized how complex some of the issues are, and some of the challenges in openly discussing these issues due to the strong personal reactions people have and the politics of name-calling. As I gave a somewhat sheepish conclusion to my tap dancing, she thanked me and told me how much she appreciated what I had to say, that I helped her see both sides of things, and that the other faculty she interviewed just gave their personal opinions and argued their own perspectives. (It was obvious what the other faculty thought about the issue—the student had clearly not heard or understood most of the opposition arguments toward the issue.) She said that my approach to her questions was better for her. I briefly explained that that is my approach to education—that my role is to help students think about and analyze the issues, not just say what I think.

Once she left, I reflected on how unfortunate it is that the other professors she interviewed simply argued their opinions. This is exactly what I fear happens too often in higher education—and that more often than not, those who are arguing their opinions come down on mostly one side of the spectrum (has clearly been proven the professors as a group are much more likely to fall on the liberal side of the political spectrum—which you may praise, but it is still only one way of thinking about things). I think it is a shame that all too often the supposed forefront of diverse thinking and academic freedom presents a one-sided way of thinking about popular, social issues.

I hope my approach is not so much the exception that I fear it may be. I certainly have my weaknesses as a professor, but I do believe in my approach and think it is more compatible with what the educational ideals upon which higher education was founded in the first place (or should have been). Of course, it may be easier to take my approach when one is of a minority opinion (which is sometimes the case for me), but I would hope that were I teaching family-oriented content at BYU (a prospect I have thought much about and have come fairly close to have happening) that I would engage in the same type of thought promotion and personal “hush-ness” when it comes to studying social issues on a scholarly level.

7 comments:

Scrappy said...

I love that you don't force your opinion on your students. I think they could use a professor like you in Oklahoma or Texas! Hint, hint. ;)

Scooter said...

Ha Ha, nice try!

(know any college presidents?)

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Oh, I know one! In Hawaii. Is that closer to Oklahoma? It's not?! Darn, I guess it actually COULD be worse. Whod'a thought?!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Oh, I know one! In Hawaii. Is that closer to Oklahoma? It's not?! Darn, I guess it actually COULD be worse. Whod'a thought?!

Scrappy said...

Green Stella with a side-cart- (http://www.genuinescooters.com/scooters/stella/stella.html)
I loved professors that spark debate. Obviously you know I love to devils advocate as often as possible. Well. . .I used to, I don't do it as much. Loved the green pastures comment. Going to have to use that one.
By the way, I am an expet too. I asked some smart-alec (sp?) kid the other day to let me know if he had any questions. He took one of his headphones off and asked me, "why is the sky blue?" I told him. He walked away. Knowledge is a great think ain't it.

Nana J said...

Great comments Scott. Could you really provide both sides of the issue at BYU and allow the student to make his/her own decision on the topic? I am not asking if you are capable, but would you be permitted to do so? Just curious.
I admire you for taking that approach.

Scooter said...

Well, "nana J," I have thought about that, and it stuck me as I was writing my account in the first place. In think it can be done but there are additional considerations.

One approach could be that even if "the Church" has a position on a given topic, it is still up to each individual to decide if one will accept and/or adopt the position in one's life, and just saying that there is only one way to think about something won't go as far as one evaluating something and deciding for one's self what to do about it. In fact, when I interviewed at BYU-I, this very topic came up (same sex marriage) in my conversation with the dean and he told me it was very important for students to be able to understand both sides of the issue.

That having been said, I think there would be some differences and I think there would be some topics that are more religious in nature that would require a different approach. I also think there would be some students who would question my convictions if I came off so neutral, but that in itself could be a good learning experience for them.

Thanks for your comment.